The Taieri Gorge Limited train
is Dunedin's prestige tourist train operating from the historic
Railway Station. Departing daily (except Christmas day) it takes you on a journey through the
rugged and spectacular Taieri River Gorge, across wrought iron viaducts and through tunnels
carved by hand more than 100 years ago.
The shore excursion with the Taieri Gorge train to Pukerangi is one of the most popular throughout New Zealand and offers you
a very convenient way to see the spectacular rugged scenery of the Taieri Gorge. You can book this exclusive package as part of
By the time your ship arrives at Port Chalmers/Dunedin, the Train will be waiting for you at the wharf, ready to depart into one
of the most scenic experiences on your cruise.
Enjoy the sights of Dunedin as you travel along Otago Harbour on your outward journey into the Taieri Gorge. For your comfort not
every seat is used in your carriage so that you may enjoy that little bit of extra space.
You will be hosted by crew members who are amongst a team of award winning voluntary staff members. They will cater to your
every need during the entire trip and be on hand to answer any of your questions. The trip includes morning tea or coffee,
continuous drinks service of local beers, soft drinks or water followed by a light picnic lunch served with a choice of delicious
South Island wines.
On the way back to your cruise ship you may decide to disembark at the Dunedin Railway Station to have a look around town and
make your own way back to the cruise ship. Some ships also offer the Taieri Gorge excursion in conjuction with other attractions.
If you book on one of these tours you will transfer to coaches at the Station to continue your Dunedin adventure.
WHY TAKE THE SHORE EXCURSION?
- Departs from the wharf alongside the ship (the public train departs from Dunedin Railway Station 12km from the wharf)
- Included is morning tea, drinks service throughout the trip and a picnic style lunch.
- The trip includes table service
- Not every seat is filled allowing more space and room to move
- Trip is risk free with the ship waiting if the train is late
- Everything is organised for you
- Train generally has a carriage with a lift for disabled or less mobile passengers
- Train returns to the wharf or allows passengers to disembark at the historic Dunedin Railway Station to explore the city
- Is not affected by the weather
- One of the few shore excursions to experience the spectacular inland scenery in New Zealand
- Trip includes sightseeing stops
- Outside viewing platforms on many carriages
THIS TOUR CAN ONLY BE BOOKED THROUGH YOUR CRUISE COMPANY:
- Pick up and drop off at the wharf is included in this journey
- Individual cruise ship trips may vary slightly from the described above
- You can expect to pay a little more on this journey due to all the extras listed above.